History - 1800-1899

1898
The first technical examinations held by the Company take place at the Northampton Polytechnic in November. The first woman to qualify was Miss Frances Troulan, who later took and passed the Company’s Diploma examination in June 1904. Her certificate now hangs on the wall in the Spectacle Makers’ offices.
1895
The British Optical Association is founded and institutes examinations for opticians in 1896.
1891
The fist reference to a need for organised education, examination and certification of opticians appears in an editorial in "The Optician " of 13 August: the Spectacle Makers do not respond!
1849
The maximum permitted size of the Livery is increased to 400.
1845
John Johnson, Master of the Company, takes office as Lord Mayor of London.
1830
James Harmer is elected as the first Master of the Company not in any way connected with the optical trade. He is subsequently appointed as Alderman and Sheriff of the City of London.
1822
The maximum permitted size of the Livery is increased from 60 to 200 and celebrated with a dinner at the London Coffee House on Ludgate Hill.
1811
The first admission fine to the Livery is levied. Fees begin to be paid to the Clerk and the Beadle.
1810
A new device is produced by Henry Lawson to form a new seal for the Company, the original seal having been lost. Now called the "Pseudo-Heraldic Device", this confirmed the motto of the Company as "A Blessing to the Aged".
1808
The Spectacle Makers petition the Court of Aldermen for a Livery – the right being granted in October 1809.