History - 1900-1999

1998
The Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers’ Charity is established by Deed of Trust. The Charity make grants to other charities and charitable enterprises supporting those with vision impairment, in the UK and overseas.
1995
A silver medal (the Fincham medal) is instituted to honour exceptional work in research for those "mid-career".
1992
The Company’s qualification for optical technicians is given statutory recognition under Schedule (2) of the Further and Higher Education Act 1992. Holders of this qualification may use the letters SMC(Tech) after their names.
1990
Anne Christine Silk FBDO, FRSA, FRSM becomes the first female Master of the Compan.
1983
The Crook medal, a gold medal award for research , is instituted to recognise those whose lifetime has been marked by outstanding contributions to the understanding or improvement of vision.
1980
The Company and the British Optical Association set up the independent Faculty of Dispensing Opticians. A merger with the Association of Dispensing Opticians leads to establishment of the Association of British Dispensing Opticians in 1986.
1979
The Company joins forces with the British Optical Association and the Scottish Association of Opticians to found the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians, now The College of Optometrists as the single examining body for ophthalmic opticians (optometrists).
1974
The arms of the Company are installed in a new stained glass window in the West Crypt of Guildhall to complete its restoration after damage in World War II.
1962
Sir Frederick Hoare, a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers, becomes Lord Mayor of London
1961
The arms of the Company are reproduced in stained glass in the front hall of Apothecaries Hall.
1958
The Opticians Act finally receives Royal Assent in June, providing for the setting up of a statutory register of opticians and establishing the General Optical Council.
1956
On 25 January, a Petition is submitted to the Privy Council for grant of a Supplemental Charter, increasing the number of Assistant s to the Court from 8 to 14. The Privy Council hears the Petition on 16 May 1956 and the Supplemental Charter is signed on 21 June.
1955
The Company began a new examination in Dispensing Optics.
1949
An request is made to the College of Arms for an official Achievement of Arms, which is granted on 18 September 1950.
1948
The formal ceremony for Clothing as of the Livery was devised by Sir Frank Newson Smith, Master of the Company.
1946
The Spectacle Makers become tenants of the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries and establish a permanent home within the Warehouses at Apothecaries Hall, Black Friars Lane, London.
1933
The Fellowship of Spectacle Makers (changed in 1972 to "The Spectacle Makers’ Society") is instituted by the then Assistant Clerk Roland Champness to provide opportunities for purely social meetings of members of the Company and their families.
1921
Elizabeth Maud Weston FSMC is admitted to the Livery by right on 1 December after achieving the Company’s professional qualification for ophthalmic opticians.
1919
Dame Laura Rebecca Marshall (wife of the then Master) is clothed as of the Livery on 25 September.